Tamil Dictionary definitions for Wing
Wing : இறக்கை, சிறகு
Wing : இறக்கை,இறக்கை,சிறகு,சிறகு
- One of the two anterior limbs of a bird, pterodactyl, or bat. They correspond to the arms of man, and are usually modified for flight, but in the case of a few species of birds, as the ostrich, auk, etc., the wings are used only as an assistance in running or swimming.
- Any similar member or instrument used for the purpose of flying.
- One of the two pairs of upper thoracic appendages of most hexapod insects. They are broad, fanlike organs formed of a double membrane and strengthened by chitinous veins or nervures.
- One of the large pectoral fins of the flying fishes.
- Passage by flying; flight; as, to take wing.
- Motive or instrument of flight; means of flight or of rapid motion.
- Anything which agitates the air as a wing does, or which is put in winglike motion by the action of the air, as a fan or vane for winnowing grain, the vane or sail of a windmill, etc.
- An ornament worn on the shoulder; a small epaulet or shoulder knot.
- Any appendage resembling the wing of a bird or insect in shape or appearance.
- One of the broad, thin, anterior lobes of the foot of a pteropod, used as an organ in swimming.
- Any membranaceous expansion, as that along the sides of certain stems, or of a fruit of the kind called samara.
- Either of the two side petals of a papilionaceous flower.
- One of two corresponding appendages attached; a sidepiece.
- A side building, less than the main edifice; as, one of the wings of a palace.
- The longer side of crownworks, etc., connecting them with the main work.
- A side shoot of a tree or plant; a branch growing up by the side of another.
- The right or left division of an army, regiment, etc.
- That part of the hold or orlop of a vessel which is nearest the sides. In a fleet, one of the extremities when the ships are drawn up in line, or when forming the two sides of a triangle.
- One of the sides of the stags in a theater.
- To furnish with wings; to enable to fly, or to move with celerity.
- To supply with wings or sidepieces.
- To transport by flight; to cause to fly.
- To move through in flight; to fly through.
- To cut off the wings of; to wound in the wing; to disable a wing of; as, to wing a bird.