Tamil Dictionary definitions for Step
Step : படி, படிக்கட்டு; அடி
Step : தப்படி,படி
- To move the foot in walking; to advance or recede by raising and moving one of the feet to another resting place, or by moving both feet in succession.
- To walk; to go on foot; Especially., to walk a little distance; as, to step to one of the neighbors.
- To walk slowly, gravely, or resolutely.
- Fig.: To move mentally; to go in imagination.
- To set, as the foot.
- To fix the foot of (a mast) in its step; to erect.
- An advance or movement made by one removal of the foot; a pace.
- A rest, or one of a set of rests, for the foot in ascending or descending, as a stair, or a round of a ladder.
- The space passed over by one movement of the foot in walking or running; as, one step is generally about three feet, but may be more or less. Used also figuratively of any kind of progress; as, he improved step by step, or by steps.
- A small space or distance; as, it is but a step.
- A print of the foot; a footstep; a footprint; track.
- Gait; manner of walking; as, the approach of a man is often known by his step.
- Proceeding; measure; action; an act.
- Walk; passage.
- A portable framework of stairs, much used indoors in reaching to a high position.
- In general, a framing in wood or iron which is intended to receive an upright shaft; specif., a block of wood, or a solid platform upon the keelson, supporting the heel of the mast.
- One of a series of offsets, or parts, resembling the steps of stairs, as one of the series of parts of a cone pulley on which the belt runs.
- A bearing in which the lower extremity of a spindle or a vertical shaft revolves.
- The intervak between two contiguous degrees of the csale.
- A change of position effected by a motion of translation.