Tamil Dictionary definitions for Stem
Stem : நடுத்தண்டு, தண்டு
- Alt. of Steem
- To move forward against an obstacle, as a vessel against a current.
- Alt. of Steem
- The principal body of a tree, shrub, or plant, of any kind; the main stock; the part which supports the branches or the head or top.
- A little branch which connects a fruit, flower, or leaf with a main branch; a peduncle, pedicel, or petiole; as, the stem of an apple or a cherry.
- The stock of a family; a race or generation of progenitors.
- A branch of a family.
- A curved piece of timber to which the two sides of a ship are united at the fore end. The lower end of it is scarfed to the keel, and the bowsprit rests upon its upper end. Hence, the forward part of a vessel; the bow.
- Fig.: An advanced or leading position; the lookout.
- Anything resembling a stem or stalk; as, the stem of a tobacco pipe; the stem of a watch case, or that part to which the ring, by which it is suspended, is attached.
- That part of a plant which bears leaves, or rudiments of leaves, whether rising above ground or wholly subterranean.
- The entire central axis of a feather.
- The basal portion of the body of one of the Pennatulacea, or of a gorgonian.
- The short perpendicular line added to the body of a note; the tail of a crotchet, quaver, semiquaver, etc.
- The part of an inflected word which remains unchanged (except by euphonic variations) throughout a given inflection; theme; base.
- To remove the stem or stems from; as, to stem cherries; to remove the stem and its appendages (ribs and veins) from; as, to stem tobacco leaves.
- To ram, as clay, into a blasting hole.
- To oppose or cut with, or as with, the stem of a vessel; to resist, or make progress against; to stop or check the flow of, as a current.