Tamil Dictionary definitions for Stay
Stay : தங்கியிரு, இருப்பதற்கு
Stay : இரு,இருப்பதற்கு,தங்கியிரு,தங்கியிரு,இருப்பதற்கு
- A large, strong rope, employed to support a mast, by being extended from the head of one mast down to some other, or to some part of the vessel. Those which lead forward are called fore-and-aft stays; those which lead to the vessel's side are called backstays. See Illust. of Ship.
- That which serves as a prop; a support.
- A corset stiffened with whalebone or other material, worn by women, and rarely by men.
- Continuance in a place; abode for a space of time; sojourn; as, you make a short stay in this city.
- Cessation of motion or progression; stand; stop.
- Hindrance; let; check.
- Restraint of passion; moderation; caution; steadiness; sobriety.
- Strictly, a part in tension to hold the parts together, or stiffen them.
- To stop from motion or falling; to prop; to fix firmly; to hold up; to support.
- To support from sinking; to sustain with strength; to satisfy in part or for the time.
- To bear up under; to endure; to support; to resist successfully.
- To hold from proceeding; to withhold; to restrain; to stop; to hold.
- To hinde/; to delay; to detain; to keep back.
- To remain for the purpose of; to wait for.
- To cause to cease; to put an end to.
- To fasten or secure with stays; as, to stay a flat sheet in a steam boiler.
- To tack, as a vessel, so that the other side of the vessel shall be presented to the wind.
- To remain; to continue in a place; to abide fixed for a space of time; to stop; to stand still.
- To continue in a state.
- To wait; to attend; to forbear to act.
- To dwell; to tarry; to linger.
- To rest; to depend; to rely; to stand; to insist.
- To come to an end; to cease; as, that day the storm stayed.
- To hold out in a race or other contest; as, a horse stays well.
- To change tack; as a ship.