Tamil Dictionary definitions for Span
Span : சாண்
Span : சாண்,நீட்டம்
- The space from the thumb to the end of the little finger when extended; nine inches; eighth of a fathom.
- Hence, a small space or a brief portion of time.
- The spread or extent of an arch between its abutments, or of a beam, girder, truss, roof, bridge, or the like, between its supports.
- A rope having its ends made fast so that a purchase can be hooked to the bight; also, a rope made fast in the center so that both ends can be used.
- A pair of horses or other animals driven together; usually, such a pair of horses when similar in color, form, and action.
- To measure by the span of the hand with the fingers extended, or with the fingers encompassing the object; as, to span a space or distance; to span a cylinder.
- To reach from one side of to the order; to stretch over as an arch.
- To fetter, as a horse; to hobble.
Intransitive verb. To be matched, as horses.
Imperative. of Spin