Tamil Dictionary definitions for Soul
Soul : ஆன்மா, ஆத்மா
Soul : ஆன்மா
Soul : ஆன்மா
Intransitive verb. To afford suitable sustenance.
- The spiritual, rational, and immortal part in man; that part of man which enables him to think, and which renders him a subject of moral government; -- sometimes, in distinction from the higher nature, or spirit, of man, the so-called animal soul, that is, the seat of life, the sensitive affections and phantasy, exclusive of the voluntary and rational powers; -- sometimes, in distinction from the mind, the moral and emotional part of man's nature, the seat of feeling, in distinction from intellect; -- sometimes, the intellect only; the understanding; the seat of knowledge, as distinguished from feeling. In a more general sense, "an animating, separable, surviving entity, the vehicle of individual personal existence."
- The seat of real life or vitality; the source of action; the animating or essential part.
- The leader; the inspirer; the moving spirit; the heart; as, the soul of an enterprise; an able general is the soul of his army.
- Energy; courage; spirit; fervor; affection, or any other noble manifestation of the heart or moral nature; inherent power or goodness.
- A human being; a person; -- a familiar appellation, usually with a qualifying epithet; as, poor soul.
- A pure or disembodied spirit.
Transitive verb. To indue with a soul; to furnish with a soul or mind.