Tamil Dictionary definitions for Lie
Lie : பொய்கூறுதல், புழுகு
Lie : படு,புழுகு,பொய்,பொய்கூறுதல்,பொய்கூறுதல்,புழுகு
- See Lye.
- A falsehood uttered or acted for the purpose of deception; an intentional violation of truth; an untruth spoken with the intention to deceive.
- A fiction; a fable; an untruth.
- Anything which misleads or disappoints.
- The position or way in which anything lies; the lay, as of land or country.
Intransitive verb. To utter falsehood with an intention to deceive; to say or do that which is intended to deceive another, when he a right to know the truth, or when morality requires a just representation.
- To rest extended on the ground, a bed, or any support; to be, or to put one's self, in an horizontal position, or nearly so; to be prostate; to be stretched out; -- often with down, when predicated of living creatures; as, the book lies on the table; the snow lies on the roof; he lies in his coffin.
- To be situated; to occupy a certain place; as, Ireland lies west of England; the meadows lie along the river; the ship lay in port.
- To abide; to remain for a longer or shorter time; to be in a certain state or condition; as, to lie waste; to lie fallow; to lie open; to lie hid; to lie grieving; to lie under one's displeasure; to lie at the mercy of the waves; the paper does not lie smooth on the wall.
- To be or exist; to belong or pertain; to have an abiding place; to consist; -- with in.
- To lodge; to sleep.
- To be still or quiet, like one lying down to rest.
- To be sustainable; to be capable of being maintained.