Tamil Dictionary definitions for Iron
Iron : இரும்பு; இஸ்திரி
Iron : இரும்பு,இரும்பு;இஸ்திரி,இஸ்திரி
- The most common and most useful metallic element, being of almost universal occurrence, usually in the form of an oxide (as hematite, magnetite, etc.), or a hydrous oxide (as limonite, turgite, etc.). It is reduced on an enormous scale in three principal forms; viz., cast iron, steel, and wrought iroNoun. Iron usually appears dark brown, from oxidation or impurity, but when pure, or on a fresh surface, is a gray or white metal. It is easily oxidized (rusted) by moisture, and is attacked by many corrosive agents. Symbol Fe (Latin Ferrum). Atomic weight 55.9. Specific gravity, pure iron, 7.86; cast iron, 7.1. In magnetic properties, it is superior to all other substances.
- An instrument or utensil made of iron; -- chiefly in composition; as, a flatiron, a smoothing iron, etc.
- Fetters; chains; handcuffs; manacles.
- Strength; power; firmness; inflexibility; as, to rule with a rod of iron.
- Of, or made of iron; consisting of iron; as, an iron bar, dust.
- Resembling iron in color; as, iron blackness.
- Like iron in hardness, strength, impenetrability, power of endurance, insensibility, etc.;
- Rude; hard; harsh; severe.
- Firm; robust; enduring; as, an iron constitution.
- Inflexible; unrelenting; as, an iron will.
- Not to be broken; holding or binding fast; tenacious.
- To smooth with an instrument of iron; especially, to smooth, as cloth, with a heated flatiron; -- sometimes used with out.
- To shackle with irons; to fetter or handcuff.
- To furnish or arm with iron; as, to iron a wagon.